Perhaps, all cat owners know that feline animals are very picky in their eating habit. The little kitties like to eat only few chosen foods, and do not want to taste foods that are not known to them. In fact, there are fruits that your cat may or may not prefer eating.
However, has your cat ever rushed to your vine trees to eat grapes? You possibly do not know whether your cat likes to nibble small sweet grapes. Even if it does so, you are not sure whether grapes are safe for their consumption.
Most of the experts have expressed their opinion that grapes are not good for cats, though it is not yet apparent why the raisins or grapes are fatal to both dogs and cats. It is better never to give those fruits to any feline pet. Sometimes, a few pieces of grapes become intolerable to cats.
Kidney Failure – The main problem after grape consumption
The toxicity that is present in grapes may cause failure of cat’s kidney, and that is why grapes are not included in the list of your feline pet’s food.
The main reason for which grapes may bring about renal problem in your cats is now a mystery. The researchers haven’t studied profoundly on what is taking place in kidneys of cats after the consumption of grapes.
The most confusing thing is that all the feline animals will not respond in the same manner. Some of these feline species may be competent to munch few pieces of grape and experience no negative results.
On the other hand, some other species will reveal symptoms of kidney damage within only a number of hours after consumption.
A research has also exposed that all those cats, which have already kidney problem, or have a tendency of kidney disorders, may have more possibilities of getting suffered from kidney breakdown because of consuming grapes.
Thus, the best option to prevent any danger is to ensure that your kitty has not eaten any grape at all.
Some symptoms of poisoning due to grapes
Obviously, complete avoidance may not be possible all the time. It seems to be impractical to look at your pet twenty four hours and there are some situations, when your little cat may start chewing grapes; at that time, you can do nothing to stop it.
However, there are some signs that may tell you that your cat is suffering from grape toxicity. The major fact is that when you find your pet has eaten few grapes, and started to display the following symptoms, you may take it to a vet immediately.
Serious vomiting is one of the main warnings that the cat is not feeling well. While your feline pal has gobbled something, which is unsuitable for them, vomiting seems to be foremost chance of protecting it. To say in simple words, it is the cat’s own system that is informing about something wrong in your cat. The cat is trying to throw out the damaging substance through vomiting.
In fact, this vomiting may start after a few hours of ingesting grapes.
You may better plan to test the gag for some traces of the seeds of grape fruit. Obviously, when you find grapes or its seeds, you must call the vet at once.
Many other symptoms may occur along with vomiting, and a few of them are mentioned here:
- Diarrhea – It is a way with which a body expels the unsafe material. Here, the issue is that absorption has been completed, and it means that the detrimental toxicity of grapes is now present in your pet’s kidneys
- Lack of hunger – warning of bad physical condition
- Lethargy – a symptom of toxicity
- Lower amount of urination – an indication of failed kidney system
- Weakness – Symptoms of toxicity impacting the level of energy and nervous system
- Abdominal aching – unwell health
- Potential seizure and demise – the serious effect of toxicity.
How to cure your cat’s grape toxicity?
The idea of treating your little pets seems to be scaring to you; however, remember that it is important to treat your cats without any delay.
If the pet is checked within a little period after eating grapes, the vet will persuade vomiting in order to get your rid of the detrimental matter. The vet may also make use of activated charcoal, and it will assist you to absorb the toxins that have been left in the gastrointestinal structure of your cat.
When the level of toxicity is quite extreme, and your pet needs more healing option, the veterinarian may offer intravenous liquids as well as blood transfusion.
There is, in fact, no other definite encouraging treatment; however, with the diagnosis of kidney disorder or malfunctioning and treatment process with medications and fluids, a cat may be well within a few days.
Such processes are extremely costly, and for this reason, you must think of pet’s health insurance in order to cover these problems.
If you find that your cat is getting sick due to grape consumption, you may offer it some treats, which your friend likes to consume. 1 teaspoon for 10 pounds bodyweight may work well and you can realize the result in almost 10 to 15 minutes. Hydrogen peroxide is also an option to treat your cats. However, veterinary attention is the best choice that every cat owner should prefer.
Thus, you must be careful all the time to ensure that your cat has not eaten any grape. But, you may be glad to know that most of the cats don’t usually like to eat grapes. So, there are very few instances of a cat getting ill due to the ingestion of grapes.
Moreover, it is better to keep all the grapes away from cats because your little pet may eat grapes unconsciously, and so, you have the duty to prevent it from doing so. Though all the fruits are not risky to your cat, you should be aware of your cat’s health.
parents to first pet Kelly, a Collie, when she was three, and that began a lifelong interest in all
sorts of of domesticated animals people adopted for a happier family. Today, Sherry heads
Petsolino, a website devoted to produce expert content on animals and how to take care of
them. Her house is now home to two dogs, two guinea pigs and a cat.